Natural disasters, avoidable catastrophes, political upheaval, work-related strife and personal grief have conspired to make 2016 a year that I – and many others no doubt – won’t be too sad to see the back of.
And when we remember the many musicians, artists, writers, actors, comedians, sportspeople, and other beloved people we lost this year, it feels like 2016 has been a particularly cruel year.
But shifting the focus and remembering the many positives the year has brought, I wanted to end it by creating a mix that commemorates and celebrates the music of some of the many talented musicians, singers, producers, DJs, songwriters, musical pioneers, innovators and icons we lost in 2016.
As upsetting as their deaths have been, they have afforded us the joy of rediscovering – or discovering for the first time – some incredible music.
As I was putting this mix together, I found some beautiful music I’d never heard before – some of it by artists I won’t pretend I was very familiar with.
I hope you’ll hear a few things you may have forgotten or not heard before, alongside some true classics.
Rest in peace 2016, here’s to the new year.
- David Bowie (Life On Mars)
- Bernie Worrell (Can You Get To That – Funkadelic)
- Scotty Moore (Have Guitar, Will Travel – Scotty Moore Trio)
- Prince Be (A Watcher’s Point of View (Don’t ‘Cha Think) – PM Dawn)
- Lee Andrews (Lonely Room – Lee Andrews & The Hearts)
- DJ Spank Spank (Acid Tracks – Phuture)
- Vanity (Nasty Girl – Vanity 6)
- Jean-Jacques Perrey (Gossipo Perpetuo)
- Greg Lake (In The Court Of The Crimson King – King Crimson)
- Prince Buster (Al Capone – Prince Buster All Stars)
- Sir George Martin (Tomorrow Never Knows – The Beatles)
- Don Buchla (Buchla Sound Painting – Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith)
- Bobby Vee (Run To Him)
- Prince (Money Don’t Matter 2 Night – Prince and The New Power Generation)
- John Berry (Egg Raid On Mojo – Beastie Boys)
- Rick Parfitt (Down Down – Status Quo)
- Caroline Crawley (Shatter – Shelleyan Orphan)
- Billy Paul (I See The Light)
- David Bowie (Sound and Vision)
- Phife Dawg (Can I Kick It? – A Tribe Called Quest)
- Merle Haggard (Mama Tried)
- Papa Wemba (Liwa Ya Somo 1 – Zaïko Langa Langa)
- Rod Temperton (Thriller – Michael Jackson)
- Mose Allison (Young Man’s Blues)
- George Michael (The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face)
- Maurice White (Moment of Truth – Earth Wind and Fire)
- David Mancuso (Soul Makossa – Manu Dibango)
- Craig Gill (Saturn 5 (Featuring Mark E Smith) – Inspiral Carpets)
- Black (Wonderful Life)
- Paul Kantner and Signe Toly Anderson (It’s No Secret – Jefferson Airplane)
- Dale Griffin (All The Young Dudes – Mott The Hoople)
- Sharon Jones (Mama Don’t Like My Man – Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings)
- Leon Russell (Stranger In A Strange Land)
- Mark Goodings (Is It Love? – Hidden Agenda)
- Pete Burns (You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) – Dead Or Alive)
- Alan Vega (Dream Baby Dream – Suicide)
- Leonard Cohen (Hey, That’s No Way to Say Goodbye)
- David Bowie (I Can’t Give Everything Away)